Friday, 17 June 2016

Unpretty pretty.


"Fix your heart, and your heart will fix your mind."

Earlier this month, I had a random conversation with my dear friends about the rising population of pretty instafamous girls on social media especially instagram. We noticed how these girls; who most of them are wayyyy younger than us (some of them are still in their secondary school era), are so pretty until it makes us feel so not pretty in comparison.
Every single time we looked at these pretty girls' posts and photos, we would envy them for their beauty. As for me, I did not only envy them for their beauty, but inferiority complex would start kicking in. 'Why am I not as pretty as those girls?' I would ask myself that over and over again. And without me realising it, I am starting to believe that to be pretty is to look like them. I started to google on tutorials; be it make-up tutorials or hijab tutorials, I started to search for more pretty girls on instagram and I started to venture into skincare products (there goes my money haha).
Still, I can never be as pretty as those girls. And when an unexpected comment hit me, I felt so down and even worse, I felt so ugly (hahaha okayy you might think I exaggerated but hey, that's what I felt). I kept asking myself why am I not blessed with good genes. Days passed by and after I listened to my own words, I realised I was being so ungrateful to Allah who has created me.
And when I listened to a talk by Ustazah Norhafizah binti Musa on women and beauty during suhoor a few days ago, I mentally slapped myself. She was right when she said,
"When we are so busy following people's definition of beauty, we will never be able to catch up with what they want. Long time ago people used to like thin lips and eyebrow, but nowadays people like full lips and thick eyebrow instead. You will be tired catching up with never-ending and forever-changing beauty trend. Instead, it will be better if you just take care with what is given by Allah to you and keep on improving the beauty of your soul."
Subhanallah, she spoke right through my heart. So, even though I am still feeling down and feeling not-so-pretty, I will try my best to work on the beauty of my soul. First task, let's learn to be patient.
............................

"Beauty isn't about having a pretty face. 
It is about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and most importantly, a beautiful soul."


: 17th June 2016.
: 6.20 p.m.
: Jeli, Kelantan.
: I just followed two beautiful people on instagram haha.