The truth is you're, you're gone.
A woman who is a victim of domestic violence called 911 for help but was unable to directly discuss of what was happening to her so she used a code-like conversation by starting to order a pizza.
Fortunately, the dispatcher did not take her call lightly, instead he became intuitive and analyzed her situation very carefully.
Read the transcript of the conversation between the victim and the dispatcher and noticed how well their thoughts were connected to each other.
"911, where is your emergency?"
"123 Main St."
"Ok, what's going on there?"
"I'd like to order a pizza for delivery." (oh great, another prank call).
"Ma'am, you've reached 911"
"Yeah, I know. Can I have a large with half pepperoni, half mushroom and peppers?"
"Ummm…. I'm sorry, you know you've called 911 right?"
"Yeah, do you know how long it will be?"
"Ok, Ma'am, is everything ok over there? do you have an emergency?"
"Yes, I do."
"..And you can't talk about it because there's someone in the room with you?" (moment of realization)
"Yes, that's correct. Do you know how long it will be?"
"I have an officer about a mile from your location. Are there any weapons in your house?"
"Nope."
"Can you stay on the phone with me?"
"Nope. See you soon, thanks"
According to the dispatcher, he checked the history of the address given by the lady and found out that there were records of multiple domestic violence from the previous calls.
Finally, the officer arrived at the house and immediately saw the lady in bad shape with her drunk boyfriend. Her partner was arrested for beating her.
The dispatcher said that she was intelligent to pull that kind of trick and that emergency call is the most memorable one for him.
Source: Story shared from Reddit.
...........................
I seldom read articles liked by my friends on Facebook, however, the above article caught my eyes. Domestic violence may perceived as something common and not-so-shocking nowadays, however, the above case shows something more than any other ordinary domestic violence case. If you read carefully to the conversation, you might think, "Oh, she's so clever to be able to 'code' her emergency situation and get help from her code-like conversation."
However, for me, as I read it, I find that it is disturbing to see that how she is trying so hard to reach out for help but she just couldn't say it out loud. She was probably in pain and misery for quite some time, who knows, maybe one year, two years or even ten years? And throughout those years, how many times she had probably tried her best to reach out for help but no one, no one was able to decipher the code that she was giving, thinking that she was probably just engaging in a normal, ordinary conversation. Thinking that she was probably an ordinary woman with ordinary life.
But the truth is, she was not an ordinary woman leading an ordinary life. She was stuck in a hell-worse situation ever (pardon me for my language, I just can't stop myself from using it in this case) and she couldn't get herself out from it without the help from others. She was one of those people who even though in suffering, chose to wait and desperately hoped that one day, other people would notice and lend her their hands.This is just one case, how about other people who are just like her? Where are they? How long have they been waiting for us to notice?
This is in fact so disturbing to me. I just can't help feeling helpless and angry reading cases like this. It pains me to see how people are tortured because of the wrong relationship they are in. Domestic violence is disturbing. How can people stand through it because of love? If someone you love hurts you, it is not love. And if you love someone, you do not hurt that person.
Because to me, to love is to protect. That includes protecting the ones you love from your own evil.
: 31st October 2014.
: 2.10 p.m.
: Jeli, Kelantan.
: The poem of the day: I Got Flowers Today.