Love Me Like You Do [Ellie Goulding]
While I was driving to and fro from Jeli to Penang (for quite a number of times), I have been observing the way Malaysian drivers behave on the road.
If you happen to pass by or use the road from Kelantan to northern counterparts, you will know that you must pass the Gerik road through East Coast Highway. There is no other way except to use the Gerik road. Gerik road is not like the North-South Highway which consists of straight road with two or three lanes. Gerik road is winding, hilly and most of the times consists of one lane. There are a few two-lane areas somewhere up there, but not throughout the journey. Therefore, if you happen to follow behind a big lorry with timber or chicken in small cages, you have to patiently drive behind them until you encounter a two-lane area to overtake the lorry.
As I have been using the Gerik road more than twenty times now, it is safe to say that I can estimate where is the two-lane area so that I can prepare myself (and my car) to overtake those big lorries, buses and slow cars. Same goes to other drivers who have been using the road as well. However, this makes some of them braver and even more reckless in overtaking other vehicles. Throughout my journey, I noticed that these drivers not only overtake other vehicles along the two-lane areas, but they also overtake at sharp corners on the hilly Gerik road. I mentally applauded them for their courage and their car's powerful engine, but at the same time, I also cursed them for putting other drivers' lives at risk.
There was once, a big lorry which almost made me and other three drivers' lives in danger. At that time, we were patiently following a slow Kenari in a one-lane road. The opposite lane, however, consists of two-lane road. The Kenari was soooooooo freaking slow and as we were approaching a sharp corner along the Gerik road, a big red lorry behind me decided to overtake both my car and that Kenari. The lorry driver, recklessly, decided to overtake us by using the opposite lane. If there was only one car at the opposite lane, it would be totally fine as the car will be able to use one lane (the inside lane instead of the outer lane).
At the opposite lane, we could see a silver Proton Waja approaching us. Since the big lorry was overtaking me, the Proton Waja managed to maneuver and use the inside lane (since there are two lanes at their side). At that moment I thought, "Okay. Goodbye you impatient lorry driver. Get away from my sight". However, much to our surprise, as the lorry was overtaking me and the Kenari, out of a sudden, a fast Hilux from the opposite lane appeared and I almost screamed my lungs out. I could see that the Proton Waja was shocked as well and since the lorry was big and was taking his time to overtake the Kenari, the Proton Waja had to dangerously maneuver to the grass area outside of the road. The Hilux almost hit both the lorry and the Proton Waja, however, the Hilux driver managed to hit the brake pedal and maneuvered to the inside lane. The sound of the brake from both Proton Waja and Hilux was so loud, as loud as my own heartbeat. My hands were trembling and I almost had a heart attack. Stupid lorry! You almost kill all of us there! Urgh.
That was only one occasion where my life and other drivers' lives were at risk. Actually, there were more, thanks to the bad habit that certain drivers have in overtaking vehicles. I admit I sometimes overtake other cars too, but only when I am on the two-lane road and when I almost sure that the car at the opposite lane is far enough for me to safely overtake. And yes, most of the times I use signal to in a way telling that; "Hello slow driver, I am overtaking you now. Make way, please".
So, please, for drivers out there, please please be considerate on the road. Don't turn the road into the valley of death. Instead, let the road be the road to home; where our loved ones waiting.
.........................
source: google image
Well, there. One of the accidents that happened along Gerik to Jeli road.
: 8th May 2015.
: 05.10 p.m.
: Jeli, Kelantan.
: A few days ago, a tragic accident happened because of reckless Myvi drivers
which took away the parent and their small kid,
leaving other two young kids on their own.
leaving other two young kids on their own.
What more tragic after that is that, other Malaysians who are 'clever' enough
to take the revenge out to other innocent Myvi drivers.
This cycle of revenge will never end.
Don't be stupid enough to put the blame on others.
Don't be stupid enough to put the blame on others.
Instead, just bring the responsible drivers to justice.
