Maria Mercedes OST [Thalia]
I wish my students won't end up saying this.
Because if they do, to regret is just too late.
..........................
One of my friends who sometimes spends her time reading my blog commented how my blog these days revolved around school and students. I admit it is true. Why? Because my days are filled with school stuffs and students. I guess I really need to break away from this environment some time later, if not I will not be able to learn new things and look at world in other perspective.
But first let me write something about Teacher's Day. Ahha.
I don't know when did this specific day for teachers is created, but since I was young, 16th May is Teacher's Day. The day when teachers are celebrated and are given a lot of presents as tokens of appreciation.
Teacher's Day is the same like Mother's Day and other days that are specifically allocated for certain celebration. Most of those days are intended for us to specially celebrate certain people. When it is Mother's Day, we will celebrate our mothers and as a teacher, when it is Teacher's Day, my students will celebrate this day by wishing me "Happy Teacher's Day" and giving me presents.
Honestly, I am so blessed for having a special day for the job I have now. Just because I am a teacher, I get to be celebrated every 16th May. My comrades who are also teachers, were celebrated and received a lot of presents too. However, in my case, even though I was celebrated as well, the amount of presents that I received was less than five. People said, "Don't worry. It's the thought that counts." Yeah, I agree, it is the thought that counts and as long as the students respect and appreciate you it is more than enough. Unfortunately, the students in my school lack such thoughts or in other word; appreciation.
Out of the 140 students I am teaching currently, only 15 students wished me and only 5 gave me presents. I am fine with that because I didn't expect much (as I am not close with students unlike other teachers), but when I saw how they didn't wish other teachers who have been teaching them for years, I was quite disappointed in them. I noticed that these students of mine do not know how to appreciate a person; what more their teachers. It seems like these students find that oh well, since it is Teacher's Day, we will cheer for the teachers when they sing and recite poems but after this day, we can treat you however we like. Because for them, only on Teacher's Day they need to cherish the teachers but not on other days.
This is the problem with having a specific day for celebrating a specific group of people.
You see, when most youngsters nowadays are taught that a specific day is allocated to celebrate certain people, they will end up appreciating people only on that day. They won't realise that appreciating doesn't mean to throw a big party or give presents on that particular day, appreciating means to value and treat people with respect and love on every single day in their lives.
Let's learn to truly appreciate each other.
And let's start by appreciating our mother.
: 20th May 2015.
: 10.40 p.m.
: Jeli, Kelantan.
: I am learning how to appreciate my students' effort in learning.
Even if they didn't do well and failed in my paper,
I will have to learn to cherish and appreciate their effort in trying.
