“You’ll always be able to find me in your words. That’s
where I’ll live on.”
[The Book Thief]
……………………
Today was quite tiring. Not because of the six periods of teaching that made me this tired, but rather the students that made me this way. Resorting to an afternoon nap (my housemate once pointed out that for my case it was not a nap as I tend to sleep for hours, a ha ha haa) was usually my favourite option for a day like this; however, this time I felt like watching a movie instead. Oh yeah, blame my weird decision-making and my randomness. Out of all the English movies that I had in my external hard disk, a movie called The Book Thief caught my interest.
People who find pleasure in watching happy and funny movies might find that watching this type of movies will ruin their idea of sweet escapism as this movie is depressing and gloomy. To tell you the truth, though I love colours, musics, laughters and all the bright things in life, ironically, the dark and depressing movies are always my favourite. You know why? It is because in depressing and gloomy movies like this one, no matter how dark or sad life is, there is always happiness in small little things like having someone reading a book to you before sleep, walking with a friend together until you get home, playing snowball in the basement as you are hiding from the Nazis, gazing at the stars during the time of curfew and getting a sincere smile from a person who is always mean to you.
These simple and small acts are the things which bring us happiness but sadly, we often take it for granted or even brush it off as something insignificant in our lives. It is through watching this type of movies that makes me appreciate little things more.
And I feel that to appreciate small little things and to appreciate others is what kids nowadays must learn.
………………………
Dear students, please learn to be more appreciative. Stop waiting for others to give something to you. Instead, learn to give others something. We adults don’t owe you anything. You yourself must learn to find your own fun and happiness.
I believe not only students who must learn to appreciate. Adults too.